Tuesday 20 September 2011

You spin me right round baby right round...

So I'm off today...the day is half way over and I've done absolutely nothing. Some people would say well...it's your day off! Good for you! But to be honest...I feel like I SHOULD be doing...SOMETHING. I'm just not sure what. I've decided I'm going to blog, and see just what comes out....

I'm sitting here texting with my friend Jane, listening to my son wander around the house, and have watched more than a few youtube videos this morning. So I guess even though I've 'accomplished nothing'...I've accomplished something. I'm awake, I'm dressed, I'm speaking with my friend...I'm writing this blog. Strange how that works..it's almost like that logic is backward to me somehow. Is it engrained into our being that we have to accomplish something tangible? Something visible to have actually accomplished something? Something to ponder. It's like Simon Le Bon said in an interview a while back that I watched...We; our generation; must have that CD or vinyl LP...something tangible. To hold, to look at the art work, to know that we've actually GOT that specific piece of music, or album, or have accomplished something. Some of the artwork in albums is truly exquisite. I mean really. Have you ever taken the time to truly look at a CD insert? Or an LP jacket sleeve or slip cover? Or hell...even the album itself. Some if it is truly intricate, beautiful artwork. Just as lovely as the music itself. Some artists go all out...with MP3's on an iPod or MP3 player...you just don't get that. While MP3's are relevant, and ecologically and technologically sound...there is nothing like opening that CD jewel case, or pulling that vinyl album out of the sleeve and looking at all that went into making this living, breathing, blood, sweat and tears piece of artwork you have before you. And I agree with him. Wholeheartedly.

However, on the other hand...I'm not a luddite. I'm fairly technologically savvy or at least I'd like to think so. I can build a computer from the ground up, I can download, burn, install and remove software. I know how to operate a computer. (Obviously) I have an MP3 player. I know my way around torrents and musical downloads. I even know how to transfer youtube videos to MP3 format for my listening pleasure! (Okay, truthfully the latter part is thanks to my daughter Jessica!). But just the same, and none the less...I am far from lacking in the technology department. I must say however that I don't know the difference between analog and digital sound, and while I might be able to pick out which is which in a playback if tested...I know nothing about it off the top of my head.

The one thing sadly I currently don't own...is a record player. I desperately want one. I have some albums, and others of course I'd LOVE to pick up.My father has an entire trunk I'd love to go through. Fanfuckingtastic stuff in there if I recall correctly, quite the vast collection. I remember how fantastic that hiss sound was when you first put the needle on the record. And quite frankly...I miss it. I remember I had to stack pennies on the top of the arm just to keep it from skipping, and while that wasn't the best solution either, it worked more often than not. I've informed my husband, and my children that this is what I want for my Christmas gift this year. I want a record player. I want to be able to play albums, AND MP3's harmoniously. My thought is to have a USB record player, attached to a laptop with MP3's on it. That way, I can have the best of both worlds at my fingertips.

The art and beauty that are albums and the technological advancement of MP3's -- the best of both worlds. Is that really too much to ask for?

One Last Glimpse,

~K

While writing this blog today, I came across this video which is almost 2 years ago (a month shy of being almost to the day). It's of John Taylor speaking at UCLA's 40th Anniversary of the Internet celebration on October 29th, 2009. It's a well written, insightful view of someone who is not only within the music business...but also as an avid fan of music and the arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment