Sunday 12 February 2012

NYFW 2012, Skaist-Taylor: My thoughts: You might agree; then again; you might not.

The following is an opinion piece. Just as many of my blog entries are. I'm CERTAIN I'm not going to be popular with some of you after this piece however again like I said...it's just my opinion and I hope you respect that, just as I respect your right to have yours if it differs from my own. I'm not looking for confrontation or a fight. PLEASE keep that in mind.


It's Fashion Week in New York. I am not a 'fashionista' by any stretch, but I do know what I do and don't like. I know what I find attractive and what I find looks like random pieces of fabric slammed together to form what is supposed to be a 'garment'. I'm not big into haute couture fashion, although I do enjoy some of the costume/pageantry of it, although some of it I just don't get and leaves little to be desired.

 Let me say this from the get go (and you can either choose to continue reading or walk away from this blog entry now)...I am NOT opposed to fur being used on garments or as garments (I don't mind if its REAL fur or synthetic -- but to me it doesn't matter). There's been a lot of talk about this lately and I just want to put my 2cents worth out there. Fur always HAS been used and probably always WILL be used. It's the way things are, and likely the way things always will be. Do I feel badly for the little seal or mink that had to give it's life? Sure, but I'm not going to sob wildly and throw a bucket of paint at someone if I saw them wearing a fur coat. Know what I mean? I wear leather shoes, I wear a leather coat...I'd wear my fur coat if it still fit (yes I have one). It doesn't...so I don't. It's the way things are. Do I think they should beat the shit out of the poor animals? No. If you're going to use fur...kill the poor animal and use it. Whatever. Like I said some of you are probably going to hate me for that statement, but it is what it is...and it's just my opinion on it all.

Today; among others; was the Skaist-Taylor line debut show at the Lincoln Centre in the garage/carpark. A different venue to be certain -- but it worked brilliantly from what I watched online. It really looked no more "industrial" than any other warehouse they could have used. With the exception of the fact that there was parking lines and arrows spray painted on the floor you'd never have known it was a garage in my opinion. From what I've read it was quite the success, and to be honest, I quite liked what I saw. The garments were not over the top, they were items people would actually wear and didn't look like they were thrown together at the last minute. I liked them a lot. I was hesitant; to be honest; because I wasn't fussy on the Juicy Couture line. I felt the Juicy Couture line was pretentious crap. If I wanted a velvet track suit, I would have time traveled back ton the 1970's and stitched the word "Juicy" to my arse. NOT my cup of tea. But this line seems...I'm not sure what the word is that I'm looking for quite frankly. The only word that's coming to mind is 'earthy'....I guess is the only way I can think to put it. I quite liked it. It's different than Juicy was, and that's a good thing.

I'll be watching with great interest the next week and what comes out of NYC. It's an exciting time, some exciting shows, and some brilliant talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment