Saturday 14 June 2014

Lesbians and the cost of gas: a political debate

I'm really sort of chapped at the moment. I just had a gentleman in; who was older; and we got talking about the price of gas - it's always a common topic in my line of work - and where we thought the prices were going to go. Well, of course they're going to go up, those days of filling up for 20$ are long gone.

So, there we are and the price of gas on the rise topic comes around to the recent election that just came to pass. Suddenly he starts blaming "The gays" that voted for "that woman...."  "because she's a lesbian you know... " and "they vote for their own kind". I immediately saw red.

Now...I'm not a lesbian - but I have MANY family and friends who are of the GLBT community. And I stand behind their way of life 100%. I always have. It's just the way I was raised. And I understand that some people aren't perhaps as enlightened (If you will) in the ways of the gay. And I get that... But what the hell does one have to do with the other? What does the price of gas have to do with if a lesbian won or not?

I didn't vote. I know some of you are like "WHAT???!" Truth be told, I only have ever voted once in my life, so I really can't bitch or complain about who gets into power (and I rarely do). But what pissed me off was that he blamed "The gays" for this woman for winning (CLEARLY NOT who he wanted to win). Honestly, I don't know what this woman's politics are, but I DO know -- her sexual orientation has little or nothing to do with it. We HAVE gay rights here in Canada, so that's not even a platform or issue.

I know a lot of people are pissed off that this woman wants to put a tax on the gas, and I can get behind that. Gas is costly enough as it is - do we REALLY need to tax it higher? It's my understanding her reasoning is to do something having to do with the TTC (Toronto Transit Commission). Well, if it's not going to benefit us ALL - how is that fair? Notice in that statement I never ONCE brought up that she was a lesbian??? Yea, me either.

One Last Glimpse,

~K




No comments:

Post a Comment