Thursday 21 February 2013

2013 Writers in treatment: Experience, Strength and Hope Award

Last week in the midst of l'amour and rose petals, dinner with a loved one and that great day that is Valentine's Day there was another day last week;  although seemingly much like any other; to one man - it meant much more than that.

Last week, John Taylor received the 2013 Writers in treatment: Experience, Strength and Hope Award for his memoir: In The Pleasure Grove: Love, Death, and Duran Duran. It's an award given by peers who are in treatment for various substance abuses who have written a memoir about their abuse and have lived to tell the tale about their sober living and experiences. It was presented to him by Robert Downey Jr who has had his own battles with substance abuse and has also managed to come out the other side sober and a survivor.

I think that's an important factor in recovery, the survival of it all. Some people don't and can't survive that journey, and that's the tragedy in it all. Speaking on a personal note; as one who has been on the receiving end of many a harsh and inappropriate word from someone who has a substance abuse problem; I can honestly say I absolve them of their past against me. I hope that someday they find the peace within themselves that they will need to find a sober life.

I think there's likely a lot of guilt and shame involved in recovery. Guilt, remorse and shame for things that have been said and done. Some you can apologize and take back, some you can't. There's just no way to have that absolution and forgiveness, and that is a burden you must always carry with you through your sobriety.

I couldn't be any prouder of John than I am. He's always been my idol; as I have stated many times before; both here on this blog and to the man himself when his book tour afforded me the opportunity. He is the reason I wanted to pick up a bass and learn to play after all, and honestly, I cannot think of a better idol and person than John Taylor.

I hope he is as proud of himself and his continued recovery, as I am. He should be. Congratulations John on your continued journey, on your successfully penned and wonderful book: In The Pleasure Groove: Love, Death and Duran Duran, and your award. It is very much deserved and speaks of the person we all know you to be.

With respect.

One Last Glimpse,

~K

No comments:

Post a Comment