Thursday 18 April 2013

Boston: Thoughts

I've sat here for a couple days staring at the screen debating what the hell I'm going to write about Boston. It's one of those things that I feel that I should write about it, that I want to write about it, but have no clue as to what to say.

I guess I should start with the fact that I've never been to Boston. I've always wanted to go, it's steeped rich in history which intrigues me - but I've never been afforded the opportunity to visit. Hopefully someday I'll get to go, I've heard its a great city.

My heart; like most people I'd suspect; has been heavy this week. It seems like so many things are all happening at once, like life is moving too fast in a blinding, surreal movement. It seems like not a moment goes past to breathe, when another mind blowing event occurs.
 
So many are quick to jump this religious group or that ideology for blame.  You can't do that, if you do that, I fear ultimately it will be our undoing. And much like the people who precipitated the attack, it will only lead to anger, rage, hatred and possibly more violence. It's of course difficult to not jump to conclusions as to who perpetrated these heinous and vicious attacks, but sadly in a case like this when none have stepped forward to assume claim; it's only assumption and presumption on our parts at this point. In the end, it doesn't matter the colour of the skin, or the religion of the person(s) behind it, or their motives. But they will be brought to justice, of that I am certain. Sadly however, it won't bring back the dead, or help heal the wounds.

It's in times like these we hold our loved ones a little closer, call that friend we haven't called in a while, and stand as a people just that little less in judgement of each other, when we are one as a race - not as country against country, or nation against nation. It's humanity, standing with humanity trying to make sense of such events. It's sad it takes a momentous event such as what has played out in Boston this last week to bring us closer together as a people.

So I, much like millions of others, stand with you fair city - my heart and thoughts are with you. 



One Last Glimpse,

~K

No comments:

Post a Comment