Friday 30 November 2012

Cheap Trick and Aerosmith

This past Saturday I received a text message from my dear friend Amber. She asked me what I was doing on Tuesday (the 27th). I told her I was scheduled to be working - why? She replied saying she had won tickets to go see Cheap Trick and Aerosmith in Toronto at the Air Canada Center did I want to join her. The answer? HELL YEAH! I quickly texted my boss asking if we could switch the shift around to accommodate. Being the kick ass boss that she is, she agreed and arrangements were made.

I was quite excited to see Cheap Trick and Aerosmith. Initially; for some reason if I'm being completely honest; I was more excited to see Cheap Trick than I was Aerosmith. It's not that I don't like Aerosmith - I absolutely do, but for some reason the thought of seeing Cheap Trick excited me. I guess perhaps it was because it was sort of an unknown wild card, a dark horse if you will. I knew for sure Aerosmith would be Aerosmith and put on one hell of a killer show. That was sort of a gimme. But how would Cheap Trick be? Not to mention they sing one of my all time favourite songs...which they DID NOT perform Tuesday night (TOTAL bummer).

Cheap Trick hit the stage right at 7:30 on time and ready to rock. The reception from the Toronto crowd for the most part was less than enthusiastic in my opinion (for whatever reason). And yes, they weren't headlining but it's not like they're an unknown band either! I was surprised quite frankly. People still milling about, coming in and out of the arena. As a concert goer, honestly I found this very distracting, I found it hard to focus and enjoy Cheap Trick as they were ripping it up onstage. I think in all honesty, they were distracted and annoyed too. It wasn't until towards the end of their set list that they seemed to have the audience attention and were able to maintain it. It wasn't that they weren't good, they brought it, they rocked it and they had a great time for the most part I think. But the audience didn't seem to be feeling it and I think they were likely frustrated by this. Personally I thought they put on a great show.


A little music history lesson was learned during the Cheap Trick set. The bassist (Tom Petersson) was the inventor of the 12 string bass. The thing is massive, and produces a great sound. I am intimidated by 4 strings! I can't imagine 12!! But the sound was fantastic.

By the time Aerosmith hit the stage by 9pm the place was just about capacity and I, quite frankly, was very excited. I'd not seen Aerosmith before and I knew they'd put on a great show. I've never heard anyone not enjoying themselves at an Aerosmith show. And as predicted it was fantastic - Steve Tyler came out saying "This ain't no fuckin American Idol"  ... no, no it wasn't. They were there to party and bring us along like it or not.

There was a gentleman who was two rows ahead of us who didn't sit down from the moment Cheap Trick hit the stage to the moment Aerosmith left. He danced, sang, whistled, cheered, played air guitar, held his bic lighter high in the air and generally rocked out. Honestly, I don't know if he was high, drunk, or stone cold sober but he was there to party his ass off.

Steve Tyler did not stop from the moment he hit the stage (save a little lie down in front of a fan on the stage during a guitar solo) until they left. For a man who is almost 65 years old, he can move. And yes...he really is that sexy. Honestly, I've never really thought that before - until the show. I thought he was "alright", but honestly he exudes sexuality. It drips from his pores like sweat and you can't help but walk away from the show thinking... damn that man is sexy. (Okay, I'm sure there are men that can and I'm sure some women too).


I have to admit, as I stood there in the Air Canada Center, my mind flitted back to October 27th, 2011. Back to Duran and that experience with my friends. Back to Simon's birthday party and the amazing show that they put on that night. The fact that I was sitting less than 20 feet from where I sat didn't help that fact.


Would I go back and see Aerosmith again? Absolutely! They put on one hell of a show and I'd recommend it to anyone who may ask.

***If rock and roll, drums, guitars, tattoos and guyliner is your thing, be sure to go check out the ladies at http://tattoosandguyliner.com/ . They're awesome and are always reviewing new gigs and albums. You can also find them at: Drums, Guitars, Tattoos and Guyliner on Facebook or follow them at @tattoosguyliner on Twitter!!!!***

Cheap Trick setlist:
Clock Strikes Ten
Big Eyes
On Top of the World
Ain't that a Shame (with Brad Whitford) (Fats Domino cover)
I Know What I Want
Sick Man of Europe
Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/ The End (The Beatles cover)
I Want You to Want Me
Dream Police
Gonna Raise Hell
Surrender
Goodnight

Aerosmith setlist:



·  Mama Kin
·  Love in an Elevator
·  Jaded
·  Oh Yeah
·  Livin' on the Edge
·  Movin' Out
·  Walkin' the Dog (Rufus Thomas cover)
·  Last Child
·  Drum Solo
·  Rag Doll
·  Boogie Man
·  Red House (The Jimi Hendrix Experience cover)
·  Combination
·  Lover Alot
·  What It Takes
·  No More No More
·  Come Together (The Beatles cover)
·  Dude (Looks Like a Lady)
·  Walk This Way 

One Last Glimpse

~K




No comments:

Post a Comment