Friday 10 February 2012

Fate or circumstance?

Am I just lucky? Am I blessed in some way? Did I do something right? Did I learn from the mistakes I made, or that my parents made with me? How is it that I was so blessed to have 3 kids who never are going through what so many are?

I got a text message on the way to work today stating that my boss's eldest daughter's best friend was "killed" last night only HOURS after being at their home. It wasn't until after that I found out that she had been accidentally shot by her own boyfriend. They're both ONLY 17 years old. Babies.

What the hell is going on in this world? My nephew too who passed away almost 4 months ago due to tragic circumstances as well. When I was 17 I didn't know anyone who owned a GUN. Are you kidding me??? I didn't know anyone who was in a GANG. Gangs were adults...not KIDS....at least not as far as I was aware. Perhaps I was naive. Sheltered. But now that 17 year old boy is going to have to grow up into a man knowing that he shot and killed his first love. Sad.

My kids have never gone out with their friends and gotten shitfaced or high with them. They just aren't and weren't into it. They have always felt stealing or behavior like that was wrong, and yet all of those things my husband or myself did to when we were teenagers. So again I ask...am I just lucky? Did I do something right? Did I learn from my own mistakes as a teen and my parents mistakes in raising me? Are my kids smarter than I was? Or is it all just random fate and circumstance?

It's a tragic loss for Danielle, her Mom Shannon (my boss), and all the other families involved. Just as it was when Brad died so senselessly. Same fate separated by circumstance. Too young, too soon.

One Last Glimpse,


~K

No comments:

Post a Comment