Sunday 25 March 2012

Reach up for the Sunrise: And quit yer bitchin!

What's the old adage? You can't please everyone? I guess that certainly seems to be ringing true lately. It's coming into that time of year when singers and bands are getting their summer tours together. This year, it seems we're talking full on "World Tours" from most of these bands, not just tiny ones. Ones like what they used to put together in the 80's. I mean Duran (for example) has been on their "World Tour" for over a year now. Granted with Duran; they were waylaid for about four months with Simon's "Vox Box" and waiting for that to heal; but even if things had been "go for launch" they'd still be on the road now. It's got to be exhausting!

And these tours lately that are coming out are big ones! Not just in length, but in the bands that are teaming up with one another. Bands like Motley Crue and Kiss, Poison and Def Leppard, hell even Van Halen and Kool and the Gang! These are major double headliners of 80's bands! And I think it's great!!

But, when the artists say "it's grueling" or "it's exhausting" I'm certain it is! I don't think they're saying it to be melodramatic or whatever. I mean really, these people have to be "enpointe" for upwards of 18 hours at a time. No wonder so many of them have issues! I'd crack up too! I think fans often expect them to be omnipotent and all powerful and then are disappointed, mad or crushed when they find out they're not perfect. As my friend Rachel puts it "everybody shits".

The bitching that goes on about dates on Twitter and Facebook however is overwhelming!  Maybe it's because social networking is at an all time high and we're just now noticing it but it's pretty bad when you see a member of one of these bands Tweet "Quit bitching about dates" (and NO it WASN'T someone from Duran that tweeted this - it was a drummer from a different WELL KNOWN band entirely).  It can't be easy to accommodate everyone, damn near impossible I'd say. In fact, we as fans really shouldn't be bitching to the "talent" at all in my opinion. How much do we (as fans) really think that the artists have as input as to where the tour goes? I mean seriously...think about it for a tick. Even a band like Duran, as much as they might like to control every aspect and detail of their band...just can't. It would be too massive of a task to undertake. And I feel for people (like Katy who works for Duran) who I'm certain gets slammed with "WTF why are they going to Windsor Ontario! What about Detroit!!!" I'd be tempted (if I were Katy) to say "If you can't get your ass across a river 6 months from now to see them...then perhaps you don't "love them" as much as you claim to." It's a fucking river folks. Yes okay it's in a "different country" but seriously??? It's one of those.. "I'm in Canada...I'm in America...I'm in Canada" situations. Get bent!!! I'm sure they say we'd LIKE our tour to include "these locations". But really - it'll only happen if it can be accommodated.  If it can't be...then they either look for a different date, or a near by locale if they REALLY want that area! Keep in mind if they took care of everything, they'd never tour if that were the case. I think they have a serious hand in their tour, but there is only so much they can do before it's GOT to be left up to someone else.  I mean seriously think about it for a moment, and while you're at it...give your head a much needed shake if you are one of these people I'm talking about.

Money talks. Period. End of. Of course they're going to go where they can make money and get a sizable amount of promotion out. Wouldn't you? They're promoting their product as well as having a party. If you only played where you were from, you may as well just go back to being a house band for a bar for the rest of your career or a lounge lizard. Otherwise, what's the fucking point?

Yes, alright I'll give you the whole "if it weren't for us fans" logic. You're right. Absolutely. But then you have to realize "us fans" are more than just their backyard. It's a crazy, big world out here that consists of more than just your "backyard".

As for Duran not rescheduling dates and fans not getting their money back. They're not getting paid either ladies and gentlemen! The promoter fucked off with the cash, and as I understand it the promoter has very little, if nothing to do with the Duran Duran realm. And as for the "that's what insurance is for"...I'm CERTAIN that the insurance paid out for a promoter (if any) fucking off with the money is minimal. But I seem to recall Duran posting something on the website saying they weren't getting paid either.

The bottom line is this: You cannot please everyone all the time. Not with concerts or anything, it's a fact of life. But these people are doing the best way they know how to please people, and "us fans" keep kicking them in the teeth about it.

"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes..." You know the rest.

One Last Glimpse,

~K

1 comment:

  1. Oh hell yes. Hours upon hours of bitching and moaning on twitter... Who has that kind of time and lack of focus? Not listening to sense... lord.

    ReplyDelete