Thursday 23 June 2011

Capes and Horns

When I was a kid, one of my Mom's best friends lived in a small city called Orangeville not too far from Toronto. We would drive up there at least once a year to visit with my "Aunt" Pat and "Uncle" Wayne. (Ironically my inlaws names MANY years later, but I digress). I LOVED going up to my Aunt Pat and Uncle Wayne's house. They had 2 daughters, both younger than my sister and I, who we thought of as our own sisters. Or at least I know I did.

I remember when I was about 12 or so being told about the young french couple who lived across the street had their children brutally murdered by a boy who was not much older than I. He had been hired to babysit the children, took them to the park at the school. Somehow the ended up IN the school (I don't remember how exactly) and they were playing hide and go seek, he killed both children and then when it all went to court blamed the fact that it had been a quest he was on and that was the end game goal. (It had something to do with Pen and Paper Dungeons and Dragons). It was right around that time that it started to get a bad wrap. I had never played it of course, but I remember my Mom saying that I wasn't ever allowed to. Of COURSE the MOMENT she said that...I HAD to find out what the fuss was about. And thus my trip down the "Cape and Horns" (as my friends put it) road began.

I have played pen and paper Dungeons and Dragons. And while it's enjoyable, I much prefer playing a game on my computer. I have played an MMORPG (Massive Mutliplayer Online Role Playing Game) since 2001. I have played numerous of them. Yes, I'm one of those people who pretend online that they're an Elf, or a hobbit, or a troll, I slay dragons and orcs for treasure. I. am. a. geek. And quite proud of it. I'm not really playing one currently on a regular basis. I'm finding it hard between work, tweeting and surfing for pictures of Duran Duran to play anything. Not to mention the fact that I just have been not interested.

I have met some GREAT people via these games. And no not all of them are troglodytes who live in their mother's basements and eat paste. I'm sure there are some, and I've had the misfortune of 'meeting' a few of them over the last 10 years but they seem few and far between to be honest. Most of the people I have met have been great people. Some of which I have grown very attached to, some I have met in "real life", others I would love to and someday will but as of this point I have not.

I get teased for playing these games by some of my closest girlfriends, all in good fun of course. And of course I love them for it. I think it's one of those things you're either into...or your not. There's really no in between. It's something I enjoy doing to spend time with my husband. And likely will continue to do so until we decide we're not going to play any games anymore.

One Last Glimpse,

~K

1 comment: