Monday 22 August 2011

My mind goes one million miles an hour

I don't consider myself to be a hyperactive person. In fact quite the opposite, I've been told that I don't worry enough and that I don't get wound up about things. I  get excited about things, but don't think of myself as an excitable person per se or a hyper personality. I can be hyper, but I'm not everyday.

Lately; probably the last 4 months or so; my mind has been going one million miles an hour creatively. Photography, musically, writing, blogging, poetry, etc. I want to do it all, and for some reason I'm compelled to do it all. With writing I've been lucky with this blog because I can just blog and blog and get the words or thoughts out that are forming, but when it comes to story telling I find when I can't get words out that I get frustrated because I think in my mind...it shouldn't be that hard. I know what I want to write, I know where I want to go with it, but for whatever reason - I just cannot get out the words out. I have a story I WANT to tell, all the characters are carefully and clearly defined, I've done a little research (it's a period piece) but I just cannot find that jumping off point.

At times like this I tend to go do something else, blog, take photos, #PTFBK, etc. Until I find that starting point and then as if things have a mind of their own, they just....flow. But with this one case -- it's just not happening, and it's frustrating, truly frustrating.

Maybe if I put it out of my mind something will come to me. Isn't that usually or occasionally how it works? Maybe I'm over thinking things. Making it more difficult than I need to be. Who knows.

One Last Glimpse,


~K

1 comment:

  1. Here's another trick to try: don't worry about the perfect jumping-off point. Start anywhere. Is a character talking to you right now? Start there. Is a description filling your visual mind? Start there. Can you see the action as it's happening? Start there.

    It doesn't matter where you start -- with *any* piece of writing -- that's what revision's for. The key is to START.

    ReplyDelete