Monday 21 November 2011

Insomnia ramblings: Awake again...naturally

It's 2:11am (that's KCLT as opposed to 7:11am JTLT or 11:11pm JMLT -- HAHA...sorry J couldn't help myself!) on Monday morning. I work in a little over 12 hours and I am sitting here, at my computer wide awake. I've been to bed once for near to an hour with no luck of going to sleep...although not for lack of trying. But quite frankly it's hopeless once I start singing in my head. I might as well get up. Tonight's soundtrack started off with a little "Sexy Thing" by Hot Chocolate, followed by "Close to Me" by The Cure. By the time I hit "Hold Back the Rain" I knew I was fucked and it was time to get back up before I started full on go-go dancing in bed. 


So here I sit, by the warming glow of my computer screen writing this. What's more, my hubby is now awake and downstairs with me (Gods love him) which is fine. But Not only did I succeed in NOT going to sleep...but I also succeeded in waking him up as well. Go me! Although I must admit, even though he has reassured me that it is fine...I feel a tinge of guilt for waking him up as well. I have no idea why I can't sleep. I wish I COULD sleep...it would make life oh so much easier truth be told.

This week I work two, I'm off two, I work two. Which, I think... is nice. My week is a little bit more split up, but I feel more rested for some reason. I'm not sure why. I work Friday and Saturday though...which kind of sucks as those are prime "date nights" so if I wanted to do anything I really can't but I'm sure I'll live. ALTHOUGH having said that I'm done by 8pm on Saturday night so technically I could still go out Saturday night if I wanted to.



I found out this evening that in late August/Early September of 2012 the musical Wicked is going to be in Kitchener (about 45 minutes from me). If you have not seen Wicked, or have no idea what Wicked is I will enlighten you. First it was a book (series) by Gregory Maguire which then became a Tony Award winning musical..and in my humble opinion....it is brilliant. It's essentially a prequel to the Wizard of Oz, however parts of the musical do take place within what would be the movie. After watching the movie for years and many times over...and then going to see this musical - it blew my mind. It takes EVERYTHING you THINK you know about Glinda, Dorothy, and the Wicked Witch and the realm of Oz and turns it on it's ear. It's truly an incredibly brilliant show. If you have the opportunity or the interest... You MUST go. It's fun, funny, thought provoking, and an emotional journey. Like the Wizard of Oz, it is absolutely an all ages show. 


I'm finding it increasingly more and more difficult not to put up my Christmas decorations. I know it's not even the end of November, but truthfully I'm dying to do it. I'm eager, that's no lie...really there's no point in even trying to deny it because I'd fail miserably. However when I was a kid we never put our tree up before my sister's birthday on December 12th. Mostly because we always had a real tree and had my Mother bought, and set up the tree much before the 12th it would have looked like such a dried out piece of crap come Christmas morning it would have been a sad and pathetic sight. So we never did it. However, through the miracles of technology, and the improvements of fake Christmas trees...not to mention the unwillingness to have to water the sucker ever 2 days, and trying to keep the cats out of THAT mess...we have a lovely tree in a box. So the Christmas spirit may just find it's way into my home sooner rather than later. ;)


I know exactly what I'm doing for my kids this year for Christmas, which is unusual for me. The one I AM stumped on is my husband and what to get him. I have a few basic ideas...but truthfully...one of them there is no way I can afford it (we're looking at probably 1200$) and the other...I don't even know where to start looking for that without flat out asking him. And I don't want to do that. Where's the fun in that?


Alright I have rambled for almost an hour now...and like it or not...I need to get some sleep. So for now my sweet lovelies I will depart. For this one time I will leave you not with the immortal words of Simon John Charles Le Bon but those of Stephen Schwartz composer and lyricist for Wicked and the song "Defying Gravity":



ELPHABA

Something has changed within me 
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules
Of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes: and leap! 



It's time to try
Defying gravity
I think I'll try
Defying gravity
And you can't pull me down! 



GLINDA
Can't I make you understand? 
You're having delusions of grandeur:
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/w/wicked/defying_gravity.html ]
ELPHABA
I'm through accepting limits
''cause someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change
But till I try, I'll never know! 
Too long I've been afraid of
Losing love I guess I've lost
Well, if that's love
It comes at much too high a cost! 
I'd sooner buy
Defying gravity
Kiss me goodbye
I'm defying gravity
And you can't pull me down:
(spoken) Glinda - come with me. Think of what we could
Do: together.



(sung) Unlimited
Together we're unlimited
Together we'll be the greatest team 
There's ever been
Glinda - 
Dreams, the way we planned 'em



GLINDA
If we work in tandem:



BOTH
There's no fight we cannot win
Just you and I
Defying gravity
With you and I
Defying gravity



ELPHABA
They'll never bring us down! 
(spoken) Well? Are you coming? 



GLINDA
I hope you're happy
Now that you're choosing this



ELPHABA
(spoken) You too
(sung) I hope it brings you bliss



BOTH
I really hope you get it
And you don't live to regret it
I hope you're happy in the end
I hope you're happy, my friend:



ELPHABA
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky! 
As someone told me lately:
"Ev'ryone deserves the chance to fly!"
And if I'm flying solo
At least I'm flying free
To those who'd ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am
Defying gravity
I'm flying high
Defying gravity
And soon I'll match them in renown
And nobody in all of Oz
No Wizard that there is or was
Is ever gonna bring me down! 



GLINDA
I hope you're happy! 



CITIZENS OF OZ
Look at her, she's wicked! 
Get her! 



ELPHABA
:Bring me down! 



CITIZENS OF OZ
No one mourns the wicked
So we've got to bring her



ELPHABA
Ahhh! 



CITIZENS OF OZ
Down!



One Last Glimpse,




~K








No comments:

Post a Comment