Saturday 15 October 2011

Accident Prone and other ramblings

So the other night I go to get out of the car...it's raining, wet and for some reason only known to the Gods, the Muses, and the Smurfs I decided to grab onto the side of the car. I go to stand up...my hand slips and my left thumb slams into the lock mechanism for the door. It's late (11:30ish) so I can't (although I suppose I could have) screamed out. I just know I am in blinding pain and nauseous.

I walk to the other side of the car to retrieve my stuff out and I open the car door. The light comes on in the car, and there is blood. LOTS of it, coming out of my finger and from under my nail. Fuck me I think. The ONE thing that repulses me more than anything else is the thought or seeing someone lose a nail. Fingernail, toenail whatever. I don't care. The sight and the thought of it just repulses me beyond anything and makes me a little queasy to boot. My parents (and Alan as well) are and were forever losing fingernails or toenails so I'm scared that I'm going to be like them and lose the nail and I'll have "Manky thumb" as I always say about Alan (although for him usually it's "manky toe"). But so far...and I'm now 3 days later, the nail has remained in place, it didn't even go black. So I am hopeful. The skin around the edge peals back however, so I'm not sure how that's going to fix itself but we'll see. I probably could have gotten a stitch but it stopped bleeding so perhaps not.

My first concern of course was that I was going to have more time away from the bass (I had enough time off with my wrist earlier this summer thanks!), but since I don't use my left thumb to play (thankfully) I think I should be okay. I'm hoping to pull Rio out Saturday afternoon and play so we'll see. I don't foresee any issues however because I don't use that thumb at all for anything when I play.

I've been writing a lot lately and neglecting my bass playing, and I still (as of yet) have gone to work on shots to re-accustom myself to the camera I'm taking to the show (which is only 12 days away I might add). I am of course excited about that!

I had a story come to me that I've been writing which I'm quite excited about, it's an interesting idea and I'm intrigued to see where it leads me. Then of course there's my other writing and this blog. All in all I'm keeping my mind and myself busy I think partially because I've got all this writing ideas and energy going, but also because I'm trying to keep my focus elsewhere to not think about how the days are getting closer. Truthfully, thanks to the fact that I carry my phone with me everywhere I go and I get twitter updates sent to it...that's really not working. But it's a nice delusion none the less...I love denial this time of year...

One Last Glimpse,

~K

No comments:

Post a Comment